Pennsylvania Patient Safety Summit (P2S2)
April 5 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
The Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority cordially invites you to join us at our inaugural Pennsylvania Patient Safety Summit (P2S2).
This one-day event will include inspiring stories and concrete strategies to improve the safety of all patients while connecting and networking with other healthcare professionals.
Session topics will include: responding to error, medication safety, improving diagnosis, infection prevention and much more.
7:30 – 8:00 – Registration
8:00 – 8:30 – Welcome
8:30 – 10:00 – Keynote – Dr. John Kenagy
Join Dr. John Kenagy as he discusses how to create a compelling vision and strategic purpose to align everyone in efforts to continually improve patient safety
10:00 – 10:15 – Break
10:15 – 11:45 – Breakout Sessions (choose 1 of 4 dynamic sessions):
- Responding to Error: Dr. Princy Thottathil will present: “When was the last time you were a Second Victim?… Not a question of IF, but WHEN…” She will discuss the concept of “second victim” and how to manage this experience.
- Medication Safety: Dr. Rachel Levine, Dr. Vitaly Gordin, and Jennifer Hubbell will present information on the Prescription opioid and heroin crisis and how to manage opioid related adverse drug events.
- Improving Diagnosis: Dr. Sarah Tilstra and Dr. Deborah DiNardo present, “How Doctors Think: Understanding and Combatting Errors in Clinical Reasoning”. Which will describe how clinicians think, how to identify errors, and how to implement strategies to prevent these errors.
- Infection Prevention: Dr. David Nace and Dr. Jeffrey Miller will discuss antibiotic stewardship: why it is important, challenges, opportunities, and strategies for implementing a program.
11:45 – 12:45 – Lunch – Join us for the “I Am Patient Safety” Award Recognition
12:45 – 2:15 – Breakout Sessions (choose 1 of 4 dynamic sessions):
- Responding to Error: Mark Atlee will lead a panel discussion about disclosure, including misconceptions and strategies to improve how facilities address this difficult topic.
- Medication Safety: Kathryn Shradley and Joy Trout discuss the impact health literacy has on medication management and patient outcomes along with evidence based organizational strategies to improve medication safety.
- Improving Diagnosis: Dr. Michael Bruno and Dr. Timothy Mosher review diagnostic error and discuss radiology related events and strategies.
- Infection Prevention: Emily Shears will discuss strategies for engaging leadership and how to create strategic goals for your infection prevention program.
2:15 – 2:30 – Break
2:30 – 4:00 – “Staying on Track: Being Resilient in the Face of Disaster” Panel Discussion
The panel will review the events of the 2013 Amtrak derailment and share lessons learned from those who were involved in this tragedy.
4:00 – 4:30 – Closing Remarks
Registration fees are per person. Fees are inclusive of conference attendance, materials, food and beverage (breakfast, lunch and breaks).
- Pennsylvania Resident and Pennsylvania Healthcare Workers: $50.00
- Out of State Residents and Healthcare Workers: $300.00
Hotel accommodations can be made by calling the Penn Stater Conference Center & Hotel at 1-800-233-7505. Reservations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis.
P2S2 is held in a public space, therefore the organizer does not prohibit participants, exhibitors, sponsors, or news organizations from photographing, video or audio-taping some P2S2 activities. By attending P2S2, you consent to be photographed, filmed and/or otherwise recorded. Your attendance constitutes your consent to such photography, filming and/or recording (including but not limited to images, photographs, voice or likeness) and to any use, in any and all media throughout the universe in perpetuity, of your appearance, voice and name for any purpose whatsoever in connection with P2S2. By participating in P2S2, you release the Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority, its officers and employees, and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with the taking, recording, digitizing, or publication and use of photographs, computer images, and video recordings. You waive all rights you may have to any claims for payment or royalties in connection with any use, exhibition, streaming, web casting, televising, or other publication of these materials, regardless of the purpose of sponsoring of such use, exhibiting, broadcasting, web casting, or other publication irrespective of whether a fee of admission or sponsorship is charged.
You understand that all photography, filming and/or recording will be done in reliance on this consent given by you by your attendance, and that you have been fully informed of your consent, waiver of liability, and release before participating in P2S2.